Tabbouleh with Watermelon
Watermelon replaces the traditional tomato in this Middle Eastern salad, giving it bursts of sweetness. Goat cheese, another new add-in, provides creamy contrast.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2011
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield Makes 3 1/2 cups
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat
- 8 ounces watermelon (about 1/2 small), peeled and coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in bulgur, and remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and let stand, uncovered, until cooled, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer bulgur to a bowl, and toss with watermelon, parsley, scallions, oil, lemon zest and juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Gently fold in goat cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.