Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Soup
Roasting the tomatoes and eggplant deepens the flavor of this vegetarian soup.
Everyday Food, September 2004
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, (about 12), cored and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large eggplant, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Toasted rustic bread, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. with racks on top and bottom. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together tomatoes, carrots, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer, with tomatoes cut sides down.
- On another rimmed baking sheet, toss together eggplant, chickpeas, curry powder, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer. Place both sheets in oven (tomato mixture on top rack). Roast until tender, tossing mixtures halfway through, about 45 minutes.
- Using tongs, peel off and discard tomato skins. Puree tomato mixture (including juices) in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Stir in eggplant mixture; thin with 3 to 4 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, sprinkled with cilantro; garnish with bread, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.