Orange marmalade is good for more than hot buttered toast. Try it in this recipe for almond cupcakes: It gets incorporated into the batter and makes a pretty topping.
Everyday Food, June 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Makes 18
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup sweet orange marmalade
- 1 cup natural almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold heavy cream, whipped to medium peaks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in top position. Line 18 muffin-pan cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and 1/3 cup marmalade until pale yellow and fluffy, 4 minutes. In a food processor, process almonds until finely ground. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and process until almonds are completely incorporated into flour mixture.
- With mixer on low, beat eggs, one at a time, into butter mixture, scraping down bowl after each addition. Add buttermilk and flour mixture each in three additions, scraping down bowl after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Fill each muffin cup with cup batter. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 22 to 24 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Let cupcakes cool in pans on wire racks. Top each with a dollop whipped cream and evenly drizzle with 1/3 cup marmalade.
Microwave your marmalade if it's too thick to pour. Heat for 5 to 10 seconds or until it loosens up.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.