Lighter Brownie Sundaes
These brownies a la mode get topped with chocolate sauce, nuts, and coconut.
Everyday Food, January 2008
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes, plus cooling
- Yield Serves 8
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for ramekins
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt
- toasted sliced almonds and shredded coconut, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350. Brush eight 8-ounce ramekins with oil; set aside. In a bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, applesauce, and oil until smooth. Whisk in egg white and vanilla. Add flour mixture; mix just until moistened. Divide batter among ramekins; smooth tops. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet until a toothpick inserted in center of a brownie comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer sheet to a rack to cool completely. (To store, cover ramekins with plastic wrap, and keep at room temperature, up to 2 days.)
- Assemble sundaes: Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave in 1-minute increments, stirring, until almost completely melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Top brownies with frozen yogurt and chocolate; serve with additional toppings.
If baking them in an 8-inch square pan, decrease the baking time to 15 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.