Fast Raspberry Scones
Serve these raspberry scones at breakfast or with tea for an afternoon snack.
Everyday Food, May 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Makes 20
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400. In a food processor, pulse together flour, cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and pulse until pea-size pieces form. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg yolk. Slowly pour buttermilk mixture through feed tube into processor, pulsing until dough just comes together.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle raspberries on top. Knead three times to fold in raspberries (there may be loose pieces of dough and a stray berry or two). Gather and pat dough into a 1-inch-thick square and cut or pull apart into 2-inch pieces. Place pieces, about 2 inches apart, on two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets and sprinkle tops with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let scones cool slightly on sheets on wire racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.