Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Pistachios
This main-course-worthy dish is all about the presentation. Quinoa's a complete protein, and it will easily fill up guests who skip the turkey. If you're serving vegans, swap the feta for some nutritional yeast, which has a mild nutty, cheesy flavor.
- 4 small acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Pinch red-pepper flakes
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Brush squash with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast cut side down on two baking sheets until tender and caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then fluff with a fork. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, parsley, feta, pistachios, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and red-pepper flakes. Divide filling among squash.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.