Spicy Peanut-Shrimp Soup
The spicy-sour Thai staple, tom yum, is a takeout favorite during the colder months. You can have this version on the table even faster than delivery. Stirring in peanut butter at the end rounds out the spiciness and adds body, but fish sauce is the real secret here, used for its savory-salty punch.
Whole Living, December 2011
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 small red chiles, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp, cleaned, tail on
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan, simmer stock, garlic, chiles, ginger, and fish sauce for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in peanut butter. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- To serve, fill bowls with baby spinach. Ladle soup over spinach and garnish with scallion.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.