With a pinch of cinnamon and a handful
of dried currants, these muffins taste
like a hybrid of carrot and spice cake.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2011
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hours 25 minutes
- Yield Makes 14
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups grated carrots (from about 2 large carrots)
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 14 cups of
two 12-cup muffin tins with baking cups,
and lightly coat each with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flours, sugar, baking
powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cinnamon
in a large bowl. Whisk together
yogurt, oil, eggs, and egg whites in a
medium bowl. Fold yogurt mixture into flour mixture, then gently fold in carrots
and currants until combined.
- Spoon batter into baking cups until
each is three-quarters full. Bake until a
toothpick inserted into the center of each
comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
Transfer pans to wire racks, and let cool
for 10 minutes. Turn out muffins
onto racks, and let cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.