Chickpea-Brown Rice Veggie Burger
Detox Cred: These tasty bean and brown-rice meatless patties deliver a filling protein-fiber combo. Brown rice is a super whole grain to include in any diet: Just one cup delivers nearly one-third of the daily value of selenium, a mineral that helps fight free radicals.
Whole Living, January/February January/February 2012
- 2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Whole-grain mustard
- Red onion, sliced, for garnish
- Roasted red pepper, sliced, for garnish
- Green-leaf lettuce, for wrapping
- Mash chickpeas and brown rice until thick paste forms. Stir in shallot, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Spread with mustard, top with red onion and roasted red pepper, and wrap in lettuce.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.