Quinoa with Poached Egg, Spinach, and Cucumber
Detox Cred: Quinoa (an ancient seed) is an excellent source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein, like eggs. Eggs are the best natural source of the nutrient choline and help fight inflammation.
Whole Living, January/February January/February 2012
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 5 ounces spinach, rinsed
- Coarse salt
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- Red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, about 1 minute. Add spinach and steam, covered, until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt. Transfer to plate.
- Rinse pan and fill with 2 inches water; bring to a boil. Add carrot and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate. Reduce heat to a simmer and poach eggs, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide quinoa between bowls. Top with egg, spinach, carrot, and cucumber. Whisk vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt. Drizzle over bowls. Sprinkle with red chili flakes and chives.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.