Pear, Oat, Cinnamon, and Ginger Shakes
Adding raw oats to this shake produces a pleasantly chewy texture while providing fiber, which helps keep cholesterol levels in check.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2012
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time overnight
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 1/2 medium to large pears, such as red Anjou, peeled, seeded, and chopped (2 2/3 cups)
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt
- Freeze pears in a single layer on a baking sheet overnight.
- Combine pears, milk, buttermilk, oats, ice, maple syrup, almond butter, ginger, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a blender. Blend on low speed, then gradually increase speed to high. Blend until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into chilled glasses, and garnish with ground cinnamon. Serve immediately.
Freezing the pears overnight reduces the amount of ice needed for blending the next day and results in a thick and creamy texture.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.