Roasted Red-Pepper Soup with Quinoa Salsa
Finishing a warm soup with a zesty hit of salsa adds texture and freshness. Here is a winterized version, made by replacing tomatoes with quinoa.
Whole Living, December 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Pinch red-pepper flakes
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted and quartered
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red-pepper flakes and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add roasted peppers and stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, 10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth. Season with salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together quinoa, red onion, avocado, and cilantro. Season with salt. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with quinoa salsa, and squeeze with lime.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.