Curried Red-Lentil Soup with Dried Cherries and Cilantro
Martha Stewart Living, March 2012
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Makes 4 1/2 cups
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger (from a 2-inch piece)
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (4 tablespoons)
- 2 carrots, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro stems, plus 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, shallot, and carrots and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 4 cups water, and the lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils and carrots are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour 2 cups soup through a fine sieve into a bowl, reserving solids. Puree strained liquid with remaining soup in a blender until smooth. Reheat after blending. Stir in reserved solids.
- Reserving some for garnish, stir cherries and cilantro stems into soup, and ladle into bowls. Swirl in remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk, and garnish with cherries and cilantro leaves.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.