Lentil Cakes with Feta-Yogurt Sauce and Cucumber-Cress Salad
Inspired by falafel, these cakes are made from a puree of raw red lentils, harissa, and scallions.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2012
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes, plus soaking
- Yield Makes 8 cakes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 scallions, pale-green and white parts chopped; greens thinly sliced on bias
- 1 tablespoon harissa (<a href="http://igourmet.com" target="_blank">igourmet.com</a>)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
- 2 1/2 ounces goat's-milk or sheep's-milk feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon finely grated garlic (from 1 small clove)
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into half-moons (1 cup)
- 1/2 ounce upland cress or watercress (1 cup)
- 1/4 ounce fresh mint leaves (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- Cover lentils with 2 inches cold water. Soak 4 hours at room temperature or up to 1 day in refrigerator. Drain well. Pulse pale-green and white parts of scallions in a food processor until minced. Add harissa, turmeric, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and egg and egg white; pulse to combine. Add lentils; puree until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and stir in a little more than half the feta.
- Whisk remaining feta, the yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic in a small bowl. Combine cucumber, cress, and mint in another bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place a scant tablespoon of scallion greens in pan, and spoon about an eighth of the batter on top, spreading to make a 3-inch cake. Repeat, making 4 cakes at a time. Cook until golden brown, flipping once, about 6 minutes. Add remaining teaspoon oil, and repeat.
- Divide sauce among 4 plates; top with salad. Place cakes next to greens, and serve.
Peppery cress is rich in beta-carotene, vitamin C, and other powerful cancer-fighting compounds.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.