Broccoli Rabe Pesto with Whole-Wheat Pasta and Turkey Sausage
The peppery bite of broccoli rabe mellows when joined by Parmesan, pine nuts, and red-pepper flakes. Plus, you get a solid serving of vegetables in a comforting bowl of pasta. You could also stir this pesto into lentils and sprinkle the dish with crumbled fresh goat cheese.
Whole Living, March 2012
- Coarse salt
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, tough stems removed
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound spicy turkey sausage, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Blanch broccoli rabe until just tender, about 1 minute. Reserving cooking water, transfer broccoli to an ice-water bath until cool, then drain.
- Pulse broccoli, pine nuts, and Parmesan in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Drizzle in 1/3 cup oil and process until smooth. Season with salt and red-pepper flakes.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Brown sausage, turning, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in reserved water according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking water.
- Toss pasta, pesto, and sausage, gradually adding cooking water until you get a creamy consistency. Serve with Parmesan and a drizzle of oil.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.