Mustard Green and Roasted Garlic Pesto with Pecorino-Romano Cheese
This pesto recipe uses very little oil and cheese. Instead, the creamy roasted garlic provides the rich texture.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield Makes 1 cup
- 2 medium heads garlic
- 1 1/4 ounces almonds, toasted and roughly chopped (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce Pecorino-Romano cheese, grated (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 large bunch mustard greens, stems discarded, roughly chopped (4 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wrap garlic in foil, and roast until flesh is completely tender, about 1 hour. Let cool completely. Squeeze garlic from skins, discarding skins.
- Pulse garlic, almonds, oil, cheese, mustard greens, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste, and 2 tablespoons water in a food processor until a thick paste forms.
Not only do almonds add taste and body to this pesto, but they're also rich in calcium, vitamin E, and heart-healthy fats.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.