Baked Eggs in Whole Roasted Tomatoes
Ketchup and eggs all grown up: These rustic tomatoes deliver a similar sweet-savory fix. (We particularly love the way the eggs soak up the juices.)
Whole Living, May 2012
- 6 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the top third off tomatoes and use a small spoon to remove core and seeds. Arrange in a baking dish, drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with thyme and garlic. Roast until tomatoes are tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Crack an egg into each tomato and season with salt and pepper. Bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 9 minutes more.
For better aim, crack the egg into a teacup first, then pour it on the tomato.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.