Fiddlehead Fern and Potato Hash
A fine source of vitamins A and C, chewy fiddleheads are like a cross between asparagus and green beans. For a stand-alone meal, top each serving with a poached egg.
Whole Living, May 2012
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds small potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1/2 pound fiddlehead ferns, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- In a medium pot of salted water, bring potatoes to a boil and cook until knife-tender, about 8 minutes. Add fiddleheads and cook until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook shallot until golden, about 2 minutes. Add potatoes and fiddleheads and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.