Roast Chicken with Fava Beans
Fresh, nutty fava beans brighten this comforting skillet dinner.
Whole Living, May 2012
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), left at room temperature for 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, skin on
- 3 pounds fava beans, shelled (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In an ovenproof skillet, rub chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Surround with garlic. Tie legs with twine.
- Roast, basting after 30 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reaches 165 degrees, about 1 hour.
- Let chicken stand on a cutting board 15 minutes; reserve garlic and pan juices (skim fat).
- Cook beans in boiling salted water until bright green, 2 minutes. Plunge into an ice bath; peel skins.
- Warm wine in skillet, scraping up brown bits. Add beans, thyme, and garlic; heat through. Stir in pan juices.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.