Spinach Salad with Sardines and Crispy Prosciutto
Sardines go sophisticated, and add enough heft to call this bright and balanced salad a full meal. Lightly baked strips of prosciutto play beautifully off of tart lemon zest and sweet golden raisins.
Whole Living, June 2012
- 1 lemon, zested, plus 3 tablespoons juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into 3-inch pieces
- 8 cups baby spinach (6 oz)
- 1 can (4.25 ounces) sardines, packed in olive oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced chives
- Whisk lemon juice and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and stir in raisins.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange prosciutto in a single layer and brush with remaining tablespoon oil. Bake, rotating halfway through, until crisp and deep golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- Arrange spinach on a platter and top with sardines, prosciutto, lemon zest, and chives. Drizzle with dressing and adjust seasoning as necessary.
To keep greens fresh, cover with a damp kitchen towel before storing.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.