Saffron Chickpeas and Bitter Greens with Quinoa
Whole Living, July/August July/August 2012
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups bitter greens, such as kale or dandelion, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 2 1/2 cups chopped watercress
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water and saffron to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and a pinch of salt and simmer 5 minutes more. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onion, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add pepper, garlic, cumin, and coriander and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes more. Stir in all greens, then add chickpea mixture and cook until greens are just wilted. Season with salt. Remove from heat and mix in chopped herbs.
- Divide quinoa among four bowls and top with vegetables, avocado, and seeds. Garnish with herbs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.