Creamy Summer Squash Soup
Whole Living, July/August July/August 2012
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro stems, plus 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 medium yellow summer squash (2 1/2 pounds), chopped
- Coarse salt
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook onion, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cilantro stems, and coriander and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add squash and 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly, then season with salt.
- Puree soup in batches until smooth. (If too thick, thin with a little water.) Adjust seasoning if necessary and let cool slightly. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with lime.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.