Whole Living, July/August July/August 2012
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups, plus 1 Tbsp plain rice milk
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a blender, process cashews, 2 cups milk, salt, and syrup for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a saucepan, add cardamom, and bring to a boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk remaining Tbsp milk and the arrowroot until smooth. Add to saucepan and thicken mixture over medium heat, whisking, 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in van illa.
- Strain custard into a bowl and let cool slightly, then transfer to refrigerator. Serve chilled.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.