Lentils with Mint Sandwich
- 1 cup dried French green lentils
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red-wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole-wheat pita
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp 2 percent Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint leaves
- Stew the lentils: Place lentils, shallot, garlic, bay leaf, and enough water to cover ingredients by 2 inches (about 5 cups) in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain liquid and return lentils to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in vinegar and 2 tsp oil.
- Toast pita over the flame of a gas burner, turning with tongs, until crisp and golden brown. (You can also char in the broiler.) Brush pita with remaining oil. Stuff pita with 1/4 cup lentils, tomatoes, yogurt, and mint.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.