Spiced Tofu with Wilted Spinach and Yogurt
Whole Living, September 2012
- 12 oz firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed, crushed
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed, crushed
- 1/4 tsp mustard seed, crushed
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lb fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Press tofu.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, turning, until golden brown , about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and season with salt.
- Heat remaining oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and spices and cook, stirring, until spices are toasted, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt. Season with salt and stir in golden tofu. Serve with rice.
Golden cubes of tofu, sauteed with mustard and coriander seed, replace paneer cheese in this nod to the classic Indian dish.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.