Tofu Scramble with Cotija Cheese and Tortillas
Whole Living, September 2012
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 14 ounces soft tofu, drained and crumbled into large pieces
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- Coarse salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, chile, and scallion whites and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add spices and cook until toasted, about 1 minute. Stir in tofu and beans and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and sprinkle with scallion greens. Remove from heat.
- Toast tortillas over a gas burner, turning, until lightly charred, about 1 minute. Top with tofu scramble, avocado, and Cotija.
Crumbles of soft tofu, tinted yellow by turmeric, help re-imagine a Mexican scramble. Avocado cuts the serrano heat.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.