Lemon-Coconut Tofu Squares
Whole Living, September 2012
For the Crust
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-inch-square baking dish with oil, then line with parchment, leaving an overhang, and brush parchment with oil. Set aside.
- Make the crust: Stir together 1/2 cup oil, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add flour and stir until just combined. Press dough into prepared dish and bake until pale golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Process tofu, sugar, lemon zest and juice, baking powder, and flour in a food processor until smooth. Pour onto baked crust and bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let cool completely, then dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into squares.
They'll Never Guess
Yes, tofu even does dessert: Combined with sugar, lemons, coconut oil, and whole wheat, it provides the basis for an airy, ethereal lemon square.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.