Chestnut and Almond Pancakes with Sauteed Plums
Whole Living, October 2012
- 1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chestnut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chia seeds, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, plus a pinch for egg whites
- 2 large eggs, yolks and whites separated, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (preferably <u>homemade</u>)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- <u>Sauteed Plums</u>
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, chia, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together yolks, sugar, almond milk, oil, and vanilla and almond extracts.
- Whisk yolk mixture into dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form, then gently fold into batter.
- Warm butter in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. For each pancake, ladle in 1/4 cup batter and cook until bubbles appear in center and edges are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, 2 minutes more. Serve with Sauteed Plums in Maple Syrup.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.