Honey-Glazed Carrots with Garlic
Caramelized in a sweet-and-spicy blend of honey, rosemary, and dried red chile, these colorful roots bring a subtle heat to the meal.
Whole Living, November 2012
- 1 1/2 pounds small multicolored carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
- 1 small head garlic, halved
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 dried red chile, halved
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- In a large skillet, arrange carrots and garlic in a single layer and cover with water. Season generously with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove carrots and garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain water and wipe out pan. Heat to medium high. Add oil, honey, chile, rosemary, and 1 tablespoon water and cook until bubbling. Add carrots and garlic and cook, stirring, until coated and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Change It Up
Substitute thin wedges of sweet potato for the carrots; sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans and grated orange zest.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.