Brussels Sprout Salad with Avocado and Pumpkin Seeds
No roasting pan necessary for these adorable cabbage cousins: Tossed with avocado and coated in a bright lemon-Dijon dressing, the tender brussels sprout leaves make a showstopping salad.
Whole Living, November 2012
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon (1 teaspoon) plus 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed, leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Whisk lemon zest and juice and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually add oil, whisking to emulsify, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss dressing with brussels sprout leaves and pumpkin seeds. Gently stir in avocado and adjust seasoning.
Change It Up
Brighten the salad by adding blood-orange segments and swapping toasted pecans for the pumpkin seeds; toss the salad with shaved fennel and celery root for heartiness.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.