Squash-Spiked Mashed Potatoes
Butternut squash lends a lush texture and sly sweetness to everyday mashed potatoes. A whisper of nutmeg finishes it off.
Whole Living, November 2012
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-7 sprigs fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- In a large pot, cover potatoes, squash, and herbs with water. Season generously with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid, then drain and discard herbs.
- Return vegetables to pot and mash with butter until smooth. Add cooking liquid to adjust consistency. Adjust seasoning and top with nutmeg.
Change It Up
Crumble blue cheese over the top; mix in browned butter.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.