Roasted Mushroom Tartines with Avocado
Skip the usual sauteing and try roasting mushrooms for these clever toasts. It intensifies the fungi's earthy flavor and seals in the juices, rendering them a perfect complement to creamy avocado.
Whole Living, December 2012
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 8 oz small shiitake and cremini mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a casserole dish, toss mushrooms with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until soft and juicy, about 15 minutes.
- Season avocado with lemon juice and salt and divide among toasts. Top with roasted mushrooms.
South of the Border
Try the avocado-mushroom combo tucked inside tacos or quesadillas.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.