Dark Chocolate Truffles
Whole Living, December 2012
- 8 oz dark chocolate (70 percent cocoa), chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, for rolling
- Assorted toppings: cocoa powder (for an ombre effect, use a few different brands), finely chopped nuts (pistachios, Marcona almonds, hazelnuts), and toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
- Heat chocolate, oil, and 3 Tbsp water in a double boiler, stirring, until just melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and sea salt.
- Transfer to an 8-inch baking dish and refrigerate until mixture is set but still pliable, about 2 hours.
- Using a 1-inch scoop or melon baller, scoop out chocolate mixture and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Coat hands in cocoa and roll chocolate into balls. Refrigerate on parchment-lined baking sheet 10 minutes.
Truffles can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to two weeks. Let stand 30 minutes before rolling in cocoa or patting with nuts or shredded coconut.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.