Dr. Weil's Kale Salad
A signature dish at True Food Kitchen, this raw kale salad wins over even the most skeptical hearty-green newbies. It gets better after a night in the fridge.
Whole Living, December 2012
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 14 oz), ribs removed and leaves sliced into 1/4-inch shreds
- 1/2 cup finely grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings for garnish
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs, toasted
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes. Add kale and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Add grated cheese and breadcrumbs and toss.
- Garnish with shaved cheese before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to two days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.