Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
Whole Living, January/February January/February 2013
- 2 Tbsp coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 diced large onion
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 diced (stemmed, seeded) red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups rinsed red lentils
- 6 cups Cleansing Broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion with a few pinches salt, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and bell pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add lentils and Cleansing Broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro before serving.
Refrigerate stew in an airtight container up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.