Cherry-Date Oat Bars
Whole Living, January/February January/February 2013
- Coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried dates
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 cup smooth natural almond butter (at room temperature)
- 4 Tbsp ground flaxmeal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-by-8-inch pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, cherries, dates, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine almond butter, flaxmeal, applesauce, honey, orange juice, and vanilla and stir to combine. Add wet mix to dry one and stir to combine. Press mixture evenly into pan with your fingers and bake on middle rack until golden brown and firm, 30 minutes. Let cool completely, then remove from pan and cut into 9 squares.
Store bars in an airtight container up to three days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.