A nice bath is the perfect antidote to fall's chill. To keep your skin soft, use gentle products, and don't spend too long in the tub.
"Hot soaks are incredibly relaxing but can also be drying," says Ranella Hirsch, M.D., a dermatologist based in Boston.
Whether you buy your own or use a recipe (like the one below from Bettijo Hirschi, founder of Bath by Bettijo), keep your steep to 10 minutes or less. When you step out, pat your skin dry and apply a thick moisturizer or body oil to seal the water into your skin.
- Aura Cacia Peppermint Harvest Aromatherapy Mineral Bath, $3; auracacia.com
- 100% Pure Organic Eucalyptus Sea Therapy Bath, $19; 100percentpure.com
- One Natural I Need This! Bath Fizzer, $6; onebathandbody.com
- Joyful Bath Co. Citrus Buzz Refreshing Bath Salts, $5; joyfulbathco.com
- 4 cups sea salt
- 1 cup Epsom salts
- 1 cup baking soda
- 3/4 cup dried rose, calendula, or citrus rinds
- 3/4 tsp. bergamot or grapefruit essential oil
1. Combine salt and baking soda.
2. Mix 1 cup of dry mixture with essential oil.
3. Add it to rest and mix.
4. Add petals or citrus.